Wednesday, September 3, 2014

God writes a good story .. we're officially done and waiting

The other weekend after texting my friend Sarah back and forth all morning after a series of crazy things she responded by saying "God writes a good story" and I laughed.. its so true.

The funny thing is I feel like we're just still in the forward and haven't even reached the first chapter.

I want to write this out so I can always come back and see it and remember it and most importantly so I can share it with our children .. but I also want to write out this story as it happens to share it with all of you. I understand that we are in the midst of it and our hearts are tender right now so we have more emotion invested in the story and I'm sure that will be clear as I write it out (today and I'm sure as we move forward too)

As you know, we had our final training August 16th to officially be certified as foster parents and have our name on the list of "open beds" who could bring children in to our home.

Our case worker let us know, about 2 weeks before it, the 8 hour course was happening and we had to be there. This course only happens every 3 months so if we couldn't make it we would be waiting another 3 months. (I know this probably doesn't make sense.. how could they only offer it every 3 months when there are children waiting for homes? It is because they don't have enough families willing become foster parents to offer it every month. So sad)

So, the bad news was, Freeland was already on call August 16th - the day of the training. He tried to change his call day and couldn't but thankfully his friend (and the other resident with him) graciously offered to cover his call during those 8 hours so we could both make it to the class.

I found a sitter and asked our friends down the street to help watch the kids for 8 hours while we were gone. Freeland had work covered.. the kids were covered.. we were good to go and by 4:00 that afternoon we would officially be done and ready.

Freeland still had to round Saturday morning at the hospital since he was the one on call so he was going to do that and meet me back at the house at 7:45 so we could leave once the sitter arrived. (bless her heart for coming so early to take care of the kids)

and then at 7:30 I got a text from Freeland that some things had come up and he was going to have to go in to surgery at 8:00 ... therefore he would probably be missing the training unless something changed in the next 15 minutes.

I got in the car and started driving towards the class. I texted my friends and told them the situation and that we had 10 minutes for something to change and to be praying. Its a 30 minute drive for me so the entire time I spent praying knowing that whatever happened was the Lords will... if Freeland didn't make it - we'd just wait another 3 months.

But I didn't want to wait another 3 months. I was balling crying.

Fifteen minutes went by and Freeland texted me that it wasn't going to happen. He was stuck at the hospital and couldn't leave. The surgery he had to do was going to take 2-3 hours and there was no way he could get out of it or get it covered so he couldn't make it. I sat there balling crying the rest of the drive. I couldn't believe that here we were thinking a child could be in our home any day now and instead it wouldn't be until November or December.



As I pulled up to the building I had come to a peace about it (umm, I know, from balling crying to having a peace - that was fast. I cant explain it except that I feel like we're on a roller coaster).

I knew this wasn't a surprise to the Lord.. only to us. I knew if He wanted Freeland to be there - He could get him there. (the surgery could be canceled, the crazy stuff that came up could have been resolved, someone else could have stepped in.. etc.) I knew the Lords timing was perfect and His plan is always perfect .. and that the disappointment I felt was only because of my own expectations.. it wasn't a disappointment in the Lord. My friends had all sent me texts reminding me of these things and as I walked in the building my 'mourning' from the drive turned into dancing.  In my spirit I had a peace and just kept praying over the Lords plans. I started remembering how much joy there is in waiting. I started thinking about what the Lord could be up to by having us wait and felt a peace again.

Our class started and Freeland texted me that he was going in to the O.R. and the surgery was about to start... and that was that.

I even posted this onto Instagram (this is a variation of what I posted .. since 2 minutes later I deleted it):


Right as I posted that and set my phone down I asked our instructor, just to clarify, when the next course would be and explained why my husband wasn't there. She told me it would actually be 4 months because they wouldn't offer it until December this time.


and right then my phone started buzzing.

It was Freeland texting me saying "surgery is finished".


the 2-3 hour surgery was done that fast?

I jumped up and blurted out "wait! His surgery just finished.. if he left now can he still come to the training"?

You should know, this is not okay. You normally have a 15 minute window and if you are later than 15 minutes you can not come in to the building or and even if they did let you up to the class - you would never get credit for finishing the class. It was crazy that I even thought to ask knowing the answer was a since it had already been an hour.

Every person in the class stared responding "let him come. Tell him the answer was yes and just to get in the car and start driving.. come on .. let him come... " and then the instructor responded and said "okay, tell him to start driving and I will go work out the details" I explained that he was still 30 minutes away so it would take even longer for him to get here.. she was fine with that and went to let the man who was in charge know.


YOU GUYS. I cant even explain that. It may not make complete sense to you .. but THAT WAS A MIRACLE. let me try to break this down:

-Freeland's 2 - 3 hour surgery is done in 30 minutes. (the patient was okay! No worries)
-his attending tells him not only to go and try to make it to the class.. but that he (the attending) will close the surgery for him so that he can make it. (THIS IS UNHEARD OF) Freeland said okay, still thinking at the time it was impossible for him to make it but he would try since the attending was offering.
-I somehow take the risk to ask if after an hour he can still come to the class
-the instructor and entire 'system' says yes that he can come.. and they will meet him at security and work out all the details.
-Freeland makes it to the class ridiculously late when normally there are no exceptions to get into the building.. much less the training.. if its more than 15 minutes after the class starts. (I'm not sure if its this way in all counties - but in ours its that way)

so many details... all just worked out... right then and there. An hour and a half later Freeland was sitting next to me finishing his training.

I deleted that instagram post (2 minutes after I posted it) and replaced it with this later that day:




And by 4:00 that afternoon we were both done and done with all our certifications and training and home study and the whole shebang.

Freeland & I were crying on and off the entire day. I don't always realize how tender my heart is in this season because it doesn't feel that way day in and day out. Until I realize that I'm crying off and on during conversations with Freeland .. and he is doing the same. So I realize this entire post may seem like "big deal it worked out and he made it. you could have just written that at the last minute he made it" but we see it as much more than that. I understand that a huge reason why we see it as more than that is because our hearts are so tender right now and also because we're in the middle of all this so our eyes are opened to whats happening.

And just to add cherries to the top .. I also got this text from my friend on Sunday:


How amazing is that? I mean. I just love all of this. I love how people around us are joining in to this story. I love how the Lord just keeps surprising us. I love how even when it feels like there are so many things not working out - in the end - it works out. (this isn't the first hiccup we have had. Add it to the ever growing list of stories I could share)

So that was 2 weeks ago. Here is a new update.

We finished all the work. Got assigned our new resource manager (case worker) and she came to our house this last week for a final visit and to add our names to the list of waiting families. When she showed up she explained that all the sudden, after 9 months of doing this, our drivers license's were going to be an issue. We still have our Pennsylvania ones and they wanted us to have Ohio ones. This makes sense. Except I had a long lengthy conversation about it 6 months ago with our case worker during our home study and it wasn't an issue. We were surprised. Again. But it was obviously fine and we were happy to update them.

And update them we did. Within 24 hours Freeland had his updated and after loosing mine for a few minutes and driving around town to find it - I was up at the DMV updating mine.


A 3 day old child was needing placement.

I'm not joking. Is your heart racing? Mine was! And my dear dear dear friend Camille was with me and hers was too.

But here I am writing this .. and there is not a child in our home. Did I say this was a roller coaster? Ha. seriously. By the time I got home the child had actually already been placed with someone else. It was totally fine. I really truly want whatever the Lord has for us and if it wasn't that I truly believe that child is in the home that best fits his needs. It was of course exciting.. I mean the timing of everything was just a little too perfect. ha. So once I stepped back down from cloud nine.. it was fine.

And that leaves us here.. we are officially *still* waiting. The Ohio Drivers Licenses we're updated in the system on Tuesday (august 26th) and as of that moment we were cleared to be added to the list of families who have an open bed in their home to take in foster kids.

I carry my phone everywhere. Ive never answered so many phone calls before in my life. I normally ignore numbers I don't know and wait for voicemails. Not anymore. I feel like I'm waiting to go in to labor and I have no idea when its coming. Although there are days I forget we're waiting and then there are days I feel like I'm just sitting and watching my phone too!

So stay tuned. It could happen fast or we could be waiting for a long time. Some case workers told us it would happen within days and others said it would happen more within 30 days. It just depends on the case loads they have which is an ebb & flow as you can imagine. We have a trip we planned mid September so that may cause another hiccup. But we trust it will all work out. I, of course, little miss over sharer-novel writer-cant make short blog updates- will be posting it as we go!

Now.. go grab another coffee .. or glass of wine .. if you made it through this whole thing!

stay tuned.


  1. So glad you're sharing! Thanks for stretching my faith too with your testimony. Really awesome.

  2. I have been crying on and off reading this because I know from IG that something amazing is happening right now.......can't wait to follow along. It is simply incredible and I am so happy for you and the entire fam oxox

  3. Brooke- not sure if you remember me, but we briefly spent time together in our Journey growth group the semester you spent in NYC. I've loved following your blogger not just as a fellow blogger, but as a fellow Christian and just awesome human being (not me, you). Thanks for continuing to share your story and I hope to be a foster parent one day. Thanks for letting God use you and how amazing it is for your family!

    Sending you lots and lots of love and prayers.