Monday, May 12, 2014

Rivers 4th birthday {and how we were accidentally really mean parents.}

Untitled

IMG_5561

I already posted about Rivers party.. but I did take pictures on his actual birthday too. It was a good easy and simple day. I wanted to share for our family to see

He was on spring break so we got up and went and got doughnuts in our pajamas:

IMG_4507

IMG_4529
chapel put hers down and wanted a bagel instead. not my child.

Then Freeland actually had a break at work so he met us at home after doughnuts and we let River open all his gifts from us and family.

IMG_5526

IMG_5528
his first Texas flag

IMG_5533
(right when he was rubbing it in Wylders face how he was getting all the gifts we pulled out a gift Lady sent for Wylder too. humbling for a 4 year old)

IMG_5536

IMG_5538
its fun when youre at an age that cards can make you this excited too.

IMG_5539
texas rangers shirt.

IMG_5540
his first baseball glove

IMG_5541

IMG_5543

and then here is when Freeland and I became mean parents.

This was the first year River understood and knew to ask for something for his birthday. He went back & forth between a bike and a scooter for weeks. We told him he could only have one so he had to pick.

He picked a scooter. We technically never promised him he was getting one. We just said "We'll see"

So we let him open up his helmet first:

IMG_5545

and then I asked

"Why do you have a helmet if you dont even have a scooter to ride it on?"

and this was his response:

IMG_5546

immediate tears.

oops.  (but freeland & I were also cracking up. I never expected him to cry)

I immediately told him to go to the stairs (where we put it)

IMG_5548

IMG_5549

He was thrilled

IMG_5555

and then we blew his mind even more because My mom ended up getting him the scooter .. so we also got him a bike too:

IMG_5557

IMG_5559

IMG_5564

IMG_5566

IMG_5572

when your birthday is in April in the north - youre still in a snow suit outside.

IMG_5575

IMG_5590


After some lunch & rest it was back outside playing all evening.

IMG_5598

IMG_5603

IMG_5605

IMG_5612

Then he picked Chipotle for dinner.

Untitled

Untitled

Id post more pictures but there were some MASSIVE meltdowns while we were there. Meltdowns I hadnt seen since he was 2 maybe?! So I didnt take any pictures!  Its intense turning 4 and having expectations of exactly how you want it to go. (like when your quesadilla is cut and you wanted to pick it up and eat it whole!) But it was a nice relaxed day. It was a huge blessing that Freeland could join us for so much of it. The kids all had a great time & River felt so celebrated between that & his party.

He went to bed that night & told me he was sad. When I asked why he told me it was because he was sad his birthday was over & he didnt want to go to sleep so that it wouldnt end. I get it! I soooo get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment