Monday, August 26, 2013

4th of July & a first time catching lightening bugs

IMG_9603

While everyone else is all "look! my child's first day of school" ..  I'm all, "remember the 4th of July?"

oops.

(although I do love all the pictures of first day of school! Ours is next week btw)

as I mentioned before, my dad & Tracy were here on the 4th of July.

IMG_9589
look at everyone being all patriotic!

IMG_9593

IMG_9592

IMG_9598
 we still need to practice our picture taking skills as a family apparently.

Tracy did snap these though:

IMG_9606

IMG_9605

we started the day just planning on our friends down the street coming over. As the day progressed more neighbors and some friends from Freelands work were also joining in! (which I loved and made it even more fun!)

IMG_9607

IMG_9615

although I really hadnt planned so I had ZERO festive decorations and we threw it all together about an hour before. (we HAD planned the food .. just nothing else. Clearly, I didnt just cook everything and have all this food on hand an hour before. Im not that organized)

IMG_9613

IMG_9614

IMG_9619
my favorite corn dip

IMG_9620
our favorite salsa .. (from Mrs Lynne)

there were Freelands yummy sliders, bratwursts, and lots of other food too .. but I apparently didn't take pictures)

IMG_9623
and per usual - our FAVORITE pies.

Also I discovered the recipe for Freelands FAVORITE chocolate chip cookies! which I feel like is one of my greatest accomplishments to date. so we made those too!

I didnt get pictures when everyone was here. (gah!)  But I do have pictures from later in the evening when we were just hanging out.

IMG_9626

IMG_9627

IMG_9630

IMG_9633
this picture pretty much sums them up!


IMG_9634

IMG_9638

IMG_9640


love the accidental stars & stripes of these two! theyre 2 months apart and Im sure will become the best of friends in the future!

IMG_9643

IMG_9648

IMG_9650

IMG_9653

IMG_9655

IMG_9658

IMG_9656

IMG_9661

IMG_9664

after everyone left, we let River stay up and catch his first lightening bugs.

Now, I know lightening bugs exists all over .. but up here they are OUT OF CONTROL. (at least Im told its more up here than in the south.. I guess I dont know if thats 100% accurate .. but it seems like there are more here all summer long)

anyway, River loved it!

IMG_9670

IMG_9672

(ignore that he is catching them in a wine glass.. )

IMG_9675

IMG_9678

pure joy! (and this picture below reminds me of him as a little baby. Love that he can look so grown up and just like a little boy at the same time)

IMG_9684

IMG_9679

IMG_9685

It was a great day. Laid back. Lots of food. Fireworks. Sparklers. Baseball. Pies. Ice Cream. Cookies. Burgers. Friends. Lightening Bugs. Pretty successful and patriotic if you ask me.

Also, it made a HUGE difference having family here while we were hosting something! Such a HUGE help and someone always watching and entertaining the kids. I loved it. It was also fun for them to get to meet some of our friends here! I'm thankful they were up for it!

4 comments:

  1. So sweet! Summertime with kiddos is priceless! Cant wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so stinkin' cute - it looks like this could be a spread in a magazine. i just don't know HOW IN THE WORLD you do it with 3 babies. it blows my pea-sized brain just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!
    I always love seeing pics for 4 July...I think I need to start celebrating it over here in South Africa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so fun! What's in that corn dip? This is all making me hungry RIGHT before I go grocery shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete