Monday, July 15, 2013

Lemon-Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread Recipe

I posted this picture on Instagram the other day and a few people asked for the recipe so Im posting it here to share with you!

Untitled

I found this on The Dotson Family blog originally! (she made them as Christmas gifts which is a brilliant idea)

Its a Southern Living recipe.

Freeland loves zucchini bread so I tried it out. But really what you taste is lemon poppy seed bread. So if you have some zucchini that needs to be used this is a great recipe to use it up without being overwhelmed by it. Its really really good. Very dense & cake like. So its super healthy. (i kid)

Lemon-Poppy Seed Zucchini Bread
Ingredients 
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/3 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream (or greek yogurt)
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 teaspoons poppy seeds

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 325°. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
2. Stir together flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in zucchini and next 2 ingredients. Spoon batter into 3 greased and floured 5- x 3-inch disposable aluminum foil loaf pans (about 1 1/3 cups batter per pan).
3. Bake at 325° for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 30 minutes).
  

*Katie does this as muffins. It makes 12 muffins and she bakes them for 23-25 minutes
*I made this in 2 regular bread loaf pans (9x5 maybe?) and it turned out just fine. (vs 3 disposable pans)
*ps: just so you know.. you dont have to peel zucchini when you add it to bread. Makes the prep work and shredding it a lot faster.. especially if you use a food processor! And if you add a little more than a cup Im sure it would be fine. You just want to squeeze as much of the liquid out before hand. 
*oh sorry.. one more thing. I didnt have an entire tablespoon of lemon zest so I squeezed fresh lemon juice into the Tablespoon along with the zest until I had 1 Tablespoon and it tasted just fine! In the reviews on SL some people recommend extra lemon zest (and 1 tsp vanilla if you want)

Southern Living
AUGUST 2012

Also, I just made some bomb.dot.com banana bread so... me thinks I should share that recipe with the world too! Stay tuned. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving this! I'm glad you ended up posting it and that you notified me (cause I'm hardly on the laptop anymore)! I'm going to have to ask you a question and I'm hoping your email is on here somewhere. Just needing some momma advice who has older siblings for their little munchkin. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey missy .. my email is brooke.ackley @ gmail . com if you need it! Im not sure if I have it posted anywhere!

      Delete
  2. Hey! I couldn't find your email on here, but I made your recipe and it was so good! I put a link to your recipe on my blog. I hope you get lots of traffic! tricandleo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete