Monday, April 22, 2013

what April 15th looked like for our kids

I havent had time to sit and post much lately .. but I also feel like how do I sit and write about all the wonderful things the kids are doing when so much is going on outside of their little world. A few people have asked who know us and arent from Texas if we were familiar with West.. and we very much were. Just like most the people we know from Texas since it was only less than 30 minutes from where we went to college.. and as a reference.. if you've heard us talk about the amazing kolaches we so dearly love (which most people who have spent time with us have heard us say) .. West is where those are from. Thankfully we dont personally know anyone who was hurt or affected. The people we know were mostly responders out helping after everything.

Its bittersweet having something so horrible going on in the world and having children around you who have no idea what is going on.

Im so thankful they are innocent and dont even know tragedy occurs yet.

But I find myself thinking about the day that will come when they do see whats happening and cant understand it yet.

I was overwhelmed when I looked through my phone and saw all these pictures from the same day the bombings in Boston happened.

A normal day for them. In many ways an ideal & perfect day for all of us.

Yet outside our tiny little world so much was happening .. and they have no idea.

Freeland was post call so he was home and took Wylder to Lowes with him so they could have some one-on-one time in the morning.

River spent the morning with me and we just sat and worked on puzzles (which he LOVES.. especially when Wylder isn't around. He thinks its such a treat) I was incredibly thankful to be able to get ready uninterrupted and enjoy coffee without breaking up fights between certain little boys! ;)

Untitled

Then Freeland got home and the boys played outside literally all.day.long

Freeland worked on building & framing more of our garden to have it ready for the seeds & plants to go in.

River of course "helped" the entire time.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

And then all the kids went down for a nap. River stayed inside with me and rested while watching a movie. I was in the kitchen cooking & cleaning with all the windows open. Chapel & Wylder napping.

A normal.. perfect.. day in so many ways.

Then after naps we all went straight back outside to play & picnic while Freeland finished seeding & fertilizing the yard.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled


This was probably literally right when the bombings were happening.


Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I went inside to nurse Chapel and checked my phone. I immediately got up and went to the window to yell out to Freeland what was happening. The boys were still outside so I turned the live coverage on and just watched.

I called my dad right away because he has run the Boston Marathon a handfull of times (one year I was there with him) so I was curious at what time he normally finished and if this had happened one of the years he was running would our lives have been personally affected.. and I assumed he knew people there this year so I wondered if any of them had been in touch yet. A girl from his office was there running and she was right in between both of the bombs during the race. You can see her in the CNN video.

Such a strange & emotional feeling. Im no writer so I wont go on & on about how I felt.. as Im sure we all felt just the same way. And to think my kids were still running around, laughing, playing, and having the time of their lives outside.. eating dinner on the porch.. coming inside for baths.. having their dad tuck them in bed.. and so many other people were suffering and aching and experiencing tragedy.

Im so thankful for how simple our lives are these days. Im thankful we have hope in the Lord. I really really ache for people who dont have a relationship with the Lord because more than ever I just dont know how we would have hope or experience peace, grace, love.. any of it without him.

Sorry for the deep post .. like I said .. it was just surreal when I saw all the pictures from that day that I had forgotten I took .. how innocent it made the kids life seem. and praise the Lord for their innocence. My heart breaks that there are children who have seen and experienced so much even at their ages that they shouldn't have. A reality that we are very aware of after our trips to Kenya & Uganda.. or even within our friends and family. I know its there every day for so many people and its just so easy to go on with our lives and forget the reality of what other people are going through. Thank the Lord that he comes to restore and bring hope!

*ps: for those curious {family} we are doing well! enjoying the spring weather and time together.. spring cleaning and organizing the house. {which may just be my love language} I do have a gazillion pictures to share that I finally uploaded. so I will share those asap. :)


2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how you begin to explain this kind of thing to children...
    Last week was such a strange one for news - with Boston & West. Glad your friends in West were ok. My heart was with my Texan friends when I heard, though none were nearby. Yesterday I went to the London marathon just as I'd planned to before the Boston bombs, determined to stand in solidarity with those affected.
    Your garden looks like it's going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post, Hip Hop. Probably one of my favorite from you.

    ReplyDelete