Wednesday, January 19, 2011

vintage books

Freeland's dad is always so great at handing things down to us. Anytime he gives us a gift more than likely he has included something that belonged to him or someone in his family. I love it! I would much rather fill our house with things that belong to our family members & were special to them than stuff we just bought.

So note to family: please dont throw anything away.. I'll take it.

Moving forward. This year he gave River some Mother Goose books that have been in their family. Oh my gosh I love them.

IMG_7362-2

check that out:
IMG_7364-2
it says Christmas 1915!!

IMG_7369-2

I love everything about the books. The fact that they belonged to Freelands dad.. they have writing in them.. someone colored on some of the pages.. the illustrations.. the stories & how crazy they are because their old.. and lots more

IMG_7368-2

IMG_7370-2

I dont think you would EVER find things like this written in childrens books today:

IMG_7367-2

and another example:

IMG_7372-2

Im so thankful River has these. He also passed down his baby spoon & fork .. and a few other things. Its always special to be able to have these things. We're going to try to put a shelf in Rivers room so these can be up there. Obviously, I wont be letting him rip these books up like he will his other ones!

4 comments:

  1. Such a neat thing to hand down...love the pictures!
    and I'm proud of you for teaching R how to be more independent. I did that with all three of mine and they play really well by themselves. When they're that close together it's a must--you won't physically be able to hold him all the time and if you start now it won't be something he associates with the baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How special. My grandparents started giving pieces of crystal or serving pieces from their collection for gifts each year. it means so much more to me than something new.

    ReplyDelete