Thursday, August 6, 2009

doggy day spa

last week we were outside in the backyard enjoying dinner on the patio with my mom & mark.. when all the sudden I saw Oliver running to the back fence.

Not a big deal.

This happens at least 5-10 times every time we are out there. The neighbors dog & our dogs like to look at each other through the fence apparently. But its all in good fun.

Then I realized both the dogs were back there. And they werent looking through the fence at our neighbors dog. They were sniffing the compost pile. And they were freaking out.

WHAT?

So Freeland runs back to see what the fuss is about. (ie: make sure they weren't cornering a bunny or something)

And about .5 seconds after Freeland started walking towards them we could all unfortunately smell what it was about.

They saw a skunk. And apparently the skunk saw them too.

and sprayed BOTH dogs to let them know he saw them & didnt care they were 100x his size.

So long story short the dogs camped out in the garage that night. There was NO way they were stepping foot in the house. Have you ever been that close to something that was sprayed? Oh My Lord its fowl.

IMG_4553

SO the next morning Freeland got up in the rain and gave both the dogs a bath for over 2+ hours.

Hence - they had a day at the doggy day spa.

Please note in the picture above that Oliver is such a loyal brother to madelyn that even when its not his turn to get sprayed with the water he still stands by her side.

IMG_4559

Freeland bathed them in Baking Soda, Hydrogen Peroxide, and every bit of Tomato Juice we were able to find. (sadly I went back inside to work before the tomato juice baths.. that would have been a great picture) But after their hair was orange.

After all that - they were incredibly soft but unfortunately they still smelled like skunk.

Freeland ended up having to go to the vet to get spray that was supposed to take away the smell.

It helped but then they just smelled like chemicals. And eventually the chemical smell goes away and the skunk smell is still there.

IMG_4545
I get dizzy just looking at this picture


Funny, no? It was until a week later Maddie still smells like a skunk.

9 comments:

  1. I don't mean to laugh at you guys, but that was too funny! I hope the smell goes away soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemons! try soaking them in diluted lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no. That's just terrible. I wouldn't have any idea what to try--you're ahead of me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, MY NAME IS CHRIS AND i WORKED @ DOG HOUSE PET GROOMING, YOU CAN ASK CAMILLE ABOUT ME. IF YOU USE BAKING SODA, PEXOXIDE AND DAWN DISH SOAP IT WILL REMOVE THE OIL FROM THE SKUNK, BUT YOU WILL NOT GET THE SMELL OUT OF THEIR COLLARS, BETTER TO JUST REPLACE THOSE. GIVE POWERS A KISS FROM ME.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TOO FUNNY-as long as the smell is not at MY house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my!!! that stinks! (literally)! we almost had a close run in with a skunk when we were walking our pup around the block at night. We saw it come out of the ditch and RAN AS FAST AS WE COULD the other way! Safe! Hope the smell gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would be horrible! I know how bad a skunk smells just driving past but I couldn't imagine the smell of something that was sprayed directly. I am glad that the smell finally went away. I remember a story my Grandpa told me of when he was a little boy and got sprayed. His mom made his bury in clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh poor sweet puppies! I bet they won't be going by the compost pile anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that's terrible, sorry brooke! also, weird to read this today- i just dreamt about a skunk following me last night.

    ReplyDelete