Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Start of our Trip

Well you have to start somewhere right? Sorry, these probably arent the pictures you came to see.. but its a start. Ive made the (executive) decision that I am not going to edit my pictures. I really wanted to sit down and go through them all but if I do that you probably wont see any of them until July 2010 so in an effort to share them before next year Im just going to leave them as they are. Hopefully you dont mind! :) Just Kidding, Im aware that Im the only one that cares.

For whatever reason the actual "traveling" part of the trip was one of the things I was really looking forward to. Freeland & I travel well together. (Thats because once again he takes care of everything.. see our post about our passports to see what happens when I take care of things) So I actually love traveling with him. And since we have never been on such a big trip or on a plane for 20+ hours I was really excited.

I know its not normal to be excited about the long trip on a plane.. but this girl was. (or maybe it is normal? I have no idea) Especially when I learned we were flying Emirates. Have you seen their planes before? More importantly have you seen the flight attendants? You should go & see their website to see what Im talking about.

In summary - they treat you like royalty. (meals, hot towels, unlimited movies, snacks, drinks, etc.) Even on 3 hour flights. If only our airlines were as wonderful I would fly all the time.

Our team leader said it best - Enjoy the flight because the next 2 weeks will be nothing like it. (which it actually does feel very strange to be traveling to Africa to serve for 2 weeks in such a nice plane and everything else)

So here we are in the airport. We were waiting for our team to arrive:

uganda trip 2009

I wish you could see the amount of luggage we had. (remember how I packed mine all in a carry on suitcase - just wanted to make sure you remembered!) But we had suitcases full of medicine and lots of other stuff too so we had 4 suitcases + our carry ons. It was a lot to keep up with. Freeland had to give me a tutorial on how to carry it all through the airport.

uganda trip 2009

This is the international terminal at JFK. I loved sitting there & people watching. It really was amazing to see all the different people traveling in & out from all over the world.

uganda trip 2009
This is our team waiting for our first flight to board in the middle of the night. Dont be jealous of our matching shirts. (they really did help get us through customs etc. much faster since we were clearly all together)

uganda trip 2009
This is the HUGE plane we were on. People were gracious and moved so Freeland & I could sit next to each other. I wish I had a picture to show you the business & first class. (they had mini fridges and the seats reclined into a bed!)

uganda trip 2009
Thats what Im talkin about! These are the entertainment systems that everyone has on their flight. Complete with over 100 different movies, tons of tv shows, the news, internet, gps to watch your flight, and even Nintendo. my favorite was calling from seat to seat though.

As you can see the plane ride was very exciting. I felt like a little kid in a candy store the entire time. They give you blankets, pillows, socks, headphones, etc. And dont even get me started on the food. We got lots of yummy food.

And then before we knew it we were landing in Dubai

uganda trip 2009
This is the most I saw of Dubai though. It seems really nice from what I could tell.

uganda trip 2009
I will say that the Dubai airport is the nicest, cleanest thing I have ever seen.

uganda trip 2009

We had to stay at a hotel that night because our flight into Africa wasnt until the next morning.

uganda trip 2009
Freeland trying to see Dubai in the middle of the night from our hotel room.

The next morning we woke up early and made our way back on the plane and then into Entebbe, Uganda. From there we loaded a bus and drove into Jinja where we were the first week.

uganda trip 2009
our team all crowded on the bus eagerly waiting to get to Jinja (and take a shower!)

Next up - pictures actually from Africa.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I am glad you are putting pictures up. I can't wait to see more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great Brooke! I've always wanted to do a mission trip! I just love your pictures and comments and can't wait to see Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you! Thanks for putting pictures up now instead of later too - makes it easier to imagine what everything looks like. And I did Google the Emirates flight attendants just like you said...

    ReplyDelete