Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Here we go

3507083135_b46b9f67b7_o

Today is the day. I cant believe its finally here.

We are leaving for Africa as I type this. We are sitting at the airport.

Incase you have no idea what Im talking about click here, here, here, or here.

We've been up longer than I care to think about packing, finishing all the last second things, visiting with friends, running errands, cleaning out my inbox at work, etc. etc. etc. But in 1 hour none of those things will matter. The trip will finally be here.

Even just a minute ago I was overwhelmed with the knowledge that as hard as I try there is really no way to fully prepare for this trip. I know there is no way to comprehend what is in store. And as much as I think I understand what we are going to be doing or what were going to see - I realize that I have no idea what we are about to witness and experience. I do see where God has filled my heart with a deep love for the people already though. Just thinking about it really overwhelms me. And I realize we dont need to be prepared - we just need to go love people.

I cant wait.

We're going to Uganda. (Jinja & Entebbe) Freeland & I will both be on the medical team. Freeland is actually going to be leading the team. And well - I have no idea what I will be doing seeing as I have no medical experience but Im just thankful to get to serve along side Freeland and be there together. He did teach me how to check someones blood pressure today - so thats one thing I can do. :)

Practically, I have no idea if I will be able to call anyone or ever get internet anywhere so it may be 2 weeks before you hear from us. In the mean time Thank you for all of your support & all of your encouragement. I dont know that I will ever be able to say thank you enough or in a way that it deserves. But thank you.

And of course, please continue to pray for us, our team, and the people we will be ministering to in Africa.

I wish I had more time to write, elaborate, etc. but our plane is currently boarding so thats all I have for now.

PS - I feel it very important to share with you (and to make sure it goes on the record) that I officially packed my suitcase (for a TWO WEEK trip) in a carry on size suitcase! Miracle - I think so! Im very proud of it.

**Updated**
We're in New York and just met with our team. We're loving everyone. My thoughts so far are this: I think I will pretty much just be in tears for 2 weeks straight. Freeland too! I have already cried twice & we arent even in Africa yet. Our team leader (who is wonderful & I already LOVE her) was explaining what the medical team will be doing and going over what each day will look like and the tears just starting coming. She said we will be seeing somewhere between 200-250 people each day. And that every day we will be turning people away since there arent more than 24 hours in a day - and that will be one of the hardest parts. We'll be working with anyone and everyone. I will be doing intake, distributing medicine, and helping crowd control since she said it is going to be very overwhelming with the large amount of crowds that will be waiting outside. Freeland will be seeing as many people as possible and helping in anyway he can - even if its just praying with them.

I will also get to see Freeland doing what he loves to do & caring for those who are sick and in need. I cannot wait. Freeland is of course beside himself and cant wait to actually be there and get started.

We will also be in an orphanage some days and I cant wait to go and hold every single baby they will let me..

Okay gotta run. We're off to the start figuring out the luggage. If I get a chance to update again before we leave I will. If not - we're on our way to Africa now.

8 comments:

  1. I will be praying for you!!! I can't wait to see lots of pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be praying for you & Freeland & also for the other members of your team. I am so excited to hear how the Lord is going to use you and work in your lives and also the lives of those you will be blessing.

    Huge props to you for only packing in a carry on size suitcase!!! I am super impressed and don't think I'd be able to do that! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I can't believe it's already here! I'm so excited and happy for you guys. This will be a neat adventure and I can't wait to hear about it. Love you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Safe travels! You and your husband are remarkable people. In a very selfish way, I hope you are able to blog from Africa so we can all see your journey and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying Praying Praying!!!!!!!! Love you guys so mcuh and can't wait to hear about all that God has done to use yall!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see from Camille's blog that you are back!!! I can't wait to hear about the trip and I am so glad to hear Kenya let you leave the country hopefully without a problem with the passport! I miss you girls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to hear about the trip we talked to Susan the other day and she went on and on about how much she loved you all!! And how beyond happy she was you all were on the trip, and then a lot more about how much she loved you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete