Thursday, February 5, 2009

One big piece of ice

As I mentioned yesterday we went out to Lake Erie to see what it was like when something that looks like the ocean freezes over. The pictures yesterday were from the bay side of the peninsula. These are on the other side of the peninsula. Picture standing here looking towards Canada.. thats where it is.

The day we chose to go out there {"out there" really means 10 minutes from our house} it was freezing. So while we were on the bay side we were standing in the sun.. and didnt have the wind blowing directly on us. It was still freezing.. but manageable. Well, that was a different story when we walked over to the other side. I could barely see in front of me the wind was hitting my face so hard.

So because of that.. and the snow flying directly into our camera.. these are the only pictures I have. But you will get the idea. Its strange to see snow covering a beach.

{if you want to see pictures of what the beach normally looks like to see the difference.. click here}

Frozen Lake Erie
walking up to the beach.. the same spot we spent all our time at during the summer.

Frozen Lake Erie
the now white beach

Frozen Lake Erie
note: you cant really tell where the land ends & water begins.. so we stayed pretty much in this spot the whole time.

Frozen Lake Erie
also note: the snow is up to my knees.

Frozen Lake Erie
and it was freezing.
one more note: I got my winter jacket in the mail the next day after this. If only I had it during this picture I wouldn't have been half as cold.

Frozen Lake Erie
right over those little mounds is where it is ice.

Frozen Lake Erie
driving back down the peninsula.

It really is beautiful out there during the winter! Of course.. I very much enjoy the summers there. I think we actually will go back and enjoy it while the snow lasts. I know the dogs would have a blast! (on the walking trails.. not the ice.. dont worry)

6 comments:

  1. So pretty! I wish we had snow. I love that last picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really so beautiful. I've never seen anything like it -- the photos are beautiful. I can almost feel the icy winds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Brooke, absolutely stunning! Living in Africa, stuff like that never happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pics. So much snow! You gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lucky are you to see such beauty in our state?

    It doesn't get nearly as cold in central PA!

    PS- Did something happen on Erie Lake? I thought I saw a headline on the internet while browsing the news??

    ReplyDelete