Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Lecom White Coat Ceremony

Umm ignore that I promised to post this forever ago and that Im just now doing it. Also ignore that I do that ALL the time too.

LECOM white coat ceremony
freeland with some of his friends from class.. tim & russ

If you remember back in January Freeland had his White Coat Ceremony. Thats where they umm.. get their white coats. They had it at the Warner Theatre which is SO beautiful inside. I couldnt believe it. I wish I had pictures but it was like a snow storm outside that day so I couldnt really take my camera out.

Here are some pictures from the ceremony so you can all pretend you were there cheering him on with one of those horns that people blow during graduation ceremonies & big posters that read "WE LOVE YOU STUDENT DOCTOR FREELAND" .. and then when they said his name you all jump up and scream just to embarrass him too:

LECOM white coat ceremony
this is the dean of the school giving a speech

LECOM white coat ceremony
freeland walking on stage

They do everything in alphabetical order so he is always 1st or 2nd.. which is great for things like this.. but not so much for everything. You dont always want to be the first to go!

LECOM white coat ceremony
freeland getting his coat

Note: this is where they said his name.. and where you would have all jumped up and cheered for him & embarrassed him if you really were there.

LECOM white coat ceremony
shaking hands

LECOM white coat ceremony

they also get their stethoscope during the ceremony

LECOM white coat ceremony
Freeland getting his stethoscope

LECOM white coat ceremony
all the first years standing together in the theatre

LECOM white coat ceremony
freeland, tim, kevin, and russ .. his friends in his class

LECOM white coat ceremony
me and student doctor ackley

The ceremony was great. It really was exciting to watch Freeland get his coat. Im sure its silly but it just makes this whole experience even more real. And it also means he is one more step closer to doing what he loves and is called to do.

I think all med schools do this ceremony.. and I think they are all different so I wouldnt really know the difference. But in a way I liked that Lecom did theirs at the beginning of the 2nd Semester. It made it feel like he made it. Or like his first semester was initiation or something.. and now he had earned his coat. Not everyone comes back the second semester - so I guess maybe thats why it felt that way. Either way, I was proud of him.

7 comments:

  1. The ceremony sounds very cool...Congratulations to Student Doctor Ackley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, the white coat ceremony. Seems like Justin's was forever ago. By the way - how cool that the school gave them stethoscopes!? And nice ones at that - that's the same one Justin has. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool Freeland! I like the white coat. Can I borrow it sometime? Just kidding congrats! That is really awesome. I love you guys and miss you as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to Freeland. It's one step closer to Dr. Ackley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to you both, Brooke...have been following your blog for some time...I love all of your posts...and how exctly did you get Mr. Freeland to wear a vest and hat in the kitchen...I would love for my Mr C to sport such a fab cooking attire...you guys are great to follow...much love from Mesa, Az!

    ReplyDelete