Thursday, November 20, 2008

what the heck does squalls even mean?

*Updated*

Cam emailed me today and said we were supposed to have snow squalls tomorrow.

I had heard last night that the weather would be crazy on Friday. (And when I say "crazy" .. lets be honest.. I have no idea what that means)

But when Cam informed me of these "snow squalls" we would be getting - I had to check it out.


What the heck is a snow squall?

Oh.. you were wondering the same thing?

Dont worry - wiki came through for us. *Updated* Thanks to Mr. or Mrs. Anonymous, We should be specifically asking what a SNOW squal is.. not just a squal! Im learning so much thanks to this blog.

"A snowsquall is a sudden moderately heavy snow fall with blowing snow and strong, gusty surface winds. It is often referred to as a WHITEOUT and is similar to a BLIZZARD but is localized in time or in space and snow accumulations may or may not be significant."

Its not just an increase in wind..

Got it now?

I know. I was a little confused too. Its okay. Just know its a snow storm.

Also know that - Erie will be having some "heavier snow squalls" today & tomorrow.

Looks like I will not be driving to girls group tonight. I have to take a long.. winding.. curvy.. hilly road with no lights on it to get there.. so we both agreed since Im knew to this whole driving in the snow thing it would be best that I not make that drive alone.

11 comments:

  1. oh my goodness! it is really really cold up there. i was kinda jealous looking at all your pretty wintery weather pictures... but i'm not anymore. bundle up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would just stay in if I were you...you don't want to be hit by a flying squall...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh you should rent the movie, White Squall! Not only does it have directly to do with gusty winds but there are some very good lookin guys on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your squalls......they are nice with a fire, some hot chocolate and chili. Getting hit hard and early this year. I remember years when we barely got any snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squalls sounds like what a bird would say, "SQUAW! SQUAW!"

    like CAW! CAW!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, you should have wikipedia-ed Snow Squall! Unfortunately, they're much more than just wind.

    "A snowsquall is a sudden moderately heavy snow fall with blowing snow and strong, gusty surface winds. It is often referred to as a WHITEOUT and is similar to a BLIZZARD but is localized in time or in space and snow accumulations may or may not be significant."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_squall

    You're in for a treat! Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I saw that on Weather.com today and I couldn't help noticing the "Stay Warm On The Links". Because, you know, we're all out golfing in good old Erie, PA today!

    Actually, golfing with a few inches of snow on the ground would be kind of challenging....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous! Thank you.. I updated the blog with your helpful information. Look at us - little ol Texas folk thinking this was just wind. SIKE - ITS A BLIZZARD! :) I appreciate the help!

    Ron.. we went sledding on the golf course last year when we came to visit. It never occured to us to try to actually play. Wouldnt that be interesting! Might be hard to find the ball.. but worth a shot.. at least according to weather.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the bit of education. I too asked myself that questions when I saw the forecast this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay, so I dont know why I didnt know you had a blog, but I finally clicked on your name when you commented on mine and....here I am!

    ReplyDelete