Thursday, October 2, 2008

the scavenger hunt

so as you know {from this post, this post, and this post} Freeland surprised me for our anniversary and took me on a last second trip to New York city where he proposed 2 years ago. I promised to share all the details about the surprise and the trip so here we go.

Freeland is sneaky. He planned a trip. He surprised me. We went to NY. Celebrated and it was magical. The End. Not enough details? mmkay.

Freeland knows me well .. and he knows I love New York so at the last second {literally 3 days before we left I think} he planned a trip for us to spend our anniversary in the city. Why not? We live so close now!

So he planned a scavenger hunt for me to find out what my gift was. He got Cam & Adam involved... and was super sneaky. He kept telling me he thought we should go to the drive inn movie and have a quiet evening and he kept going along with my ideas for the weekend & how to celebrate with lots of little special things. He even had Camille distract me the day before and ask me to come over to go on a walk while he packed our bags!

So they came up with the plan on how to get me to the scavenger hunt. Camille called and asked if I would run with her to the store to take a picture of something she was wanting. This probably sounds strange - but it didnt at the time to me. I didnt think anything of it. She said her camera was dead so she needed to use mine. So she came by the house after work & picked me up.

Side note: Freeland had already taken the camera to Camille that morning but she didnt know it. So I went looking for the camera after she asked me to go & couldnt find it. I got a little confused and called Freeland. He said "oh my gosh Im so sorry, I took it to Adam. He said him & Camille were going go use it for something so he has it" Very smooth! Totally went along with what Camille was already saying and he just pulled it out of thin air! They covered up well!

scavenger hunt

So camille picks me up. We drive to the store. She passes the exit. I say oh there is the exit. Then she says "Hey, will you read this for me its from my work" and hands me an envelope. I knew right then exactly what was happening (the scavenger hunt part) & started laughing! I couldnt believe they got me! So I read the note. Freeland wrote little poems, just like he did on the first date he planned for us, the directed me to places that we had been together before to find all my clues.

PS. Thank you Camille for being the paparazzi and taking pictures!!

The first place was to the church we have been going to. I walked in & asked the sweet woman behind the desk, who I found out later stayed LATE on a FRIDAY just to give me the clue, "umm is there by chance a clue for me here? Im on a scavenger hunt and I was told to come to the church" and she then pointed over to the wall and said "I believe that may be what you are looking for"

scavenger hunt

It was a picture of us. Not just any picture, but pictures I have been really really really wanting.

scavenger hunt

Freeland had emailed people who know people and worked the system to get them for me! {really it was Bob Sutton who came along during our engagement session with Nam and graciously agreed to let us have some of the pictures he also took that day}

scavenger hunt

The next clue was on the back of the frame. It took us to Sara's out at the peninsula where we went on July 4th... which was one of my favorite days here so far.

scavenger hunt

I walked up to the counter and said the same innocent little question. But this time the girl had no idea what I was talking about. Oh, I also cut in front of LOTS of people to ask so I think she was really confused.

scavenger hunt

Thankfully another girl walked up and knew exactly what was going on & ran to the back and then returned with another picture for me. She was sweet & looked so excited to be in on everything going on. I apologized to everyone I cut in front of and then we kept going..

scavenger hunt

This time the clue told me to go to the Whole Foods Co-op in town. This is one of the places we discovered our first few days in Erie. We loved it .. and it made Erie so much more fun for us.

scavenger hunt

So I walked in. I knew I was supposed to go to the little restaurant they have inside. I asked the gentleman, Fred, who was working behind the counter the same question I asked everyone else and his response was "I dont know, you are on a scavenger hunt arent you? So it seems to me you are going to have to search for your next clue, right?" I turned & looked at Camille worried.

scavenger hunt

You see every clue also told me that we were in a hurry and that I couldnt stop and take my time! So I was thinking how in the world am I going to find this picture if we have no time? Thats when I saw pictures hanging on the wall by the entrance & even said "See all those pictures there I would have missed if I hadnt turned around!" and what do you know .. I kept looking along the wall and there it was!

scavenger hunt

Fred had hung the picture on the wall! So I didnt have to search half as much as I thought I would!

We went back to the car.

TIME OUT: Then out of no where Fred, who had the picture inside, runs out of the store & up to the car and says "You tell your husband that he just made a whole lot of others guys look really bad in here! What he did was awesome.. he did a great job." I couldnt agree more.

scavenger hunt

So were in the car. Little did I know what I was about to open. I thought it was just going to tell me where to go next. But nope - this time I pulled out a sheet that had our flight information on it to New York City! I couldnt believe it. I think I said things like "wait, what, wait, NY, wait, oh my gosh, this is funny, wait.. " I teared up and then I started laughing. I really couldn't believe we were going. And I was just going through all the things that finally made sense.

Camille drove me home and I jumped out of the car to run and hug Freeland who was sitting on the steps waiting for me. (all dressed up and looking super sexy I might add). We darted inside to grab our bags... the ones he had already packed the day before.. and we left to go to New York that night.

And thats how Freeland surprised me, yet again, with a trip to my favorite place. The End.

15 comments:

  1. that is the sweetest thing. i'm tearing up! (by the way, i'm a friend of ashley evans and found you on her blog...just so you don't think i'm some crazy that is all of a sudden commenting on your blog! ha.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! That is the sweetest thing ever. What a great hubby and awesome surprise. Looks like you had so much fun on your hunt. Do you have some kleenex??

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know me, I'm not even sure how I found your blog. I'm 23 years old and I've been dating my boyfriend for 3 years. I love him but I'm torn between letting him go and staying with him. He's a great guy but sometimes I feel as though he's not the one for me. I always ask myself if there is someone out there who will treat me better, go the extra mile, live to make me smile. I feel silly and ungrateful when I think this way because he doesn't treat me badly, he's just not that into making me happy. Reading this post gives me hope to one day find MY prince charming. A man that will do things for ME. Do things to make ME happy, to surprise ME and make ME smile. Thanks for sharing your sweet story. Your relationship is beautiful. You are one lucky woman and your husband is one lucky man. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Brooke! Mom told me about your blog. What a great way to stay in touch. Looking forward to all the pictures and updates!

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are precious brooke! what a fun way to celebrate! freeland wins the creativity award, for sure. every time i pass the harrison house i think of you guys. we love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so sweet! What a great anniversary! Thank you for sharing your life with your blog readers. You and Freeland are a precious couple!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this story! And the pictures are wonderful. I'm glad you share my thoughts about stealing blog ideas. :) You'd laugh if you knew my stolen topic too--it was my fave TV shows haha.

    Miss you in Waco, love reading about your life in PA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY GUYS!!

    Brooke - You've got one sweet blog here... and you're quite the writer! Freeland DID do an amazing job and you guys are amazingly blessed to have each other.

    Tell your hubbs I said hello!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is seriously the sweetest thing I've ever seen/read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What an amazing anniversary present...Freeland is such a sweet guy!

    ReplyDelete