Friday, September 12, 2008

we (don't) like ike

2851603762_733b13150f
"I dont like Ike... Ikes about to strike... take a hike ike.... " thats what the posters all read.

its crazy that Rita & Katrina were really only 3 years ago. It feels like just yesterday. I had just graduated from Baylor. Freeland & I were dating and I was still working at starbucks. I was living at The Palm Court in Waco {which I LOVED} with Rachel & Meier! I can remember traffic {17 hour highway traffic} all the way in Waco from people evacuating.. and even people in Waco were leaving and driving to Dallas to be safe from the storm. {Waco is about 3 hours north from houston depending on what part you are coming from and when you go}

I read that even with all the schools, churches, a new coliseum specifically built to house evacuees.. and the fairgrounds serving as a pet shelter.. they are still "bursting at the seams with the influx"


map_tropprjpath09_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405

I saw on CNN that 200,000 people have already left and that roughly 3.5 million people live in the storm's impact zone! I also read this:

"All neighborhoods ... and possibly entire coastal communities ... will be inundated during the peak storm tide," the weather service warned. "Persons not heeding evacuation orders in single-family one- or two-story homes will face certain death."

wowzers. I was a little shocked to read that.


map_spectrop03_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405

Our offices have all closed {offices meaning the ones in Texas that I still work for .. not any in PA} and people are getting out as fast as they can.

Freeland's mom lives right in Houston & Carl is out of town right now so were praying she is safe. She is a teacher and they let her & all the students out early yesterday. Ive tried calling all our other friends that live right where Ike is headed but ha vent heard from them yet. Im praying they are all safe. I did hear from Amy, my dearest childhood friend. Her & her hubby live pretty much in Galveston and they did make it to Dallas safely! phew

wpacglobsat_600x405

1 comment:

  1. My aunt and uncle live in Baytown and have a beach house in Galveston.....haven't heard if the have damage or not.

    ReplyDelete