Saturday, July 19, 2008

our first garden

since we are currently renting our townhouse & dont own it .. we dont really have the freedom to do anything & everything we want to our house. Which, really I dont mind. Its nice to not have to worry about doing anything. And its really nice being able to have the excuse and say "you know I would put up shutters, build this awesome deck and plant a vegetable garden here but were just renting .. so unfortunately .. you know how it goes?!"

But we did decide that since we dont have a backyard to landscape we would just plant some herbs so it felt like we were doing something. See Freeland has a little green thumb inside him. When Freeland & I first met he had his own vegetable garden in his backyard. And the first meal he ever made for me {which was before I cooked for him} was a fresh salad from his garden. He scored major points. He also lived out at the world hunger farm - so he is kinda a pro at this thing..

Anyway, this is the first time I have ever really planted something other than flowers. Its been a lot of fun. I try not to take it too seriously though.. like if they look a little dry think "ahh I cant take care of a plant - what kind of mother am I going to be?" They are just plants - you cant take it that serious. Besides, if they dont make it I will just blame it on the weather.. not me.

Here are the little parsley seeds when we started:



look what happened.. the actually started growing:




I couldnt believe it! I mean, clearly, thats what they are supposed to do. But I guess I thought since I was the one in charge of them they probably would never start growing or make it.

Its been fun planting them. Its oddly very rewarding. Even though they are just in pots. Now Im eagerly waiting for them to get really big so I can "transplant" them into even larger pots! Oh we also planted some fresh herbs outside:



Its basil, mint, & rosemary. We've loved using the fresh herbs in our recipes and now Im going to start planning the most amazing garden for the one day that we do have the bomb.com yard.

6 comments:

  1. You go, girl. Little Martha Jr.

    We'll see ya in a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cooking with my fresh herbs. You all had better enjoy now-for OLD MAN WINTER is coming to Erie. No LONG growing season up there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! I can't even keep my strawberry plant alive. All it grows is leaves - I had a few small strawberries on it but we got a cold snap at the beginning of the summer and it killed them (even though I had the plant indoors).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the garden y'all. It's so good to see your posts and that things are going well! Keep them coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is so crazypants that you know ryan! first, robbie knows freeland, now you know ryan! see...we were meant to be friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What kind of camera do you guys have? Your pictures are always so beautiful and clear!

    ReplyDelete