Friday, November 23, 2007

Our first Thanksgiving

Our Thanksgiving break has been great. Not only was it our first Thanksgiving together as newlyweds it was also our 2 month anniversary! We have decided every year we will swap Thanksgiving & Christmas with each other families. So, this year we did Thanksgiving with Freeland's family and we will do Christmas with mine.

We woke up uber early on Thursday and drove down to Brady to be with Freeland's family(after stopping at Starbucks first!) I was so excited because we were invited to go to his uncle's ranch out in in Brady. It just felt like the perfect place to be on a cold Thanksgiving day. We spent the day there with them eating, talking, and eating more. I helped in the kitchen (as much as I could, but being married for only 2 months didn't really allow that much expertise to share) I loved getting to spend time with the "women" of the family. It was great getting to know his Aunt Katherine! She is a wonderful woman, mom, and friend.

Freeland, his Uncle Monte, and cousins (Monte Jr. & Forrest) all had fun together. They planted pecan tree's, tried to catch rattle snakes, and scoped out all the places to hunt & fish that they have out there. Freeland & I both couldn't stop talking about how much fun we had the whole drive home. Which, yes, we drove home that night. So we were in the car 6 hours yesterday. It was my first Thanksgiving away from home. But I really enjoyed being with Freeland's family. He has a wonderful and loving family so I'm very grateful that they are now my family also.

Freeland also went hunting for the first time ever yesterday! And just like everything else in his life - he mastered it on his first try. His first shot ever and .. lets just say we don't need to buy meat again for a long time! :) We both couldn't believe it. I don't think this will ever become a hobby for him. But It was a good first experience & a fun memory for our first Thanksgiving.

The boys trying to catch rattle snakes:

Dont worry.. that wont be our christmas card picture! Oh & yes, all I could think of was poor Bambi! All in all it was a great day with family and each other. It was an amazing first Thanksgiving .. and we are looking forward to every year continuing the traditions we have already started and adding more.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you guys had a great trip & I cannot believe that deer! B, did you want to say, 'Run Bambi, Run!!" ? just kidding. love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like y'all had a blast! Holidays are so much fun as newlyweds :-)

    ReplyDelete