Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Miss now Mrs ...

Here's to officially being Mrs. Brooke Ackley now! I finally have the documents to prove it!

Apparently just because you get married doesn’t mean that you automatically become Mrs. New-Last-Name! It’s actually quite the process to officially & legally change your name! Thankfully, for once in my life, I happened to jump on it right when we got back from the honeymoon. Mostly because I was super eager to have everything say 'Brooke Ackley' on it. But I even surprised myself by not putting it off for at least 6 months. I can see why others would avoid it for as long as possible! Here is just a quick list of all the things you have to update as an example:

  • your social security card
  • your drivers license
  • your passport
  • your checking account
  • your health insurance
  • your work and/or school information
  • your vehicle registration & insurance
  • your voters registration
  • every single one of the bills

And that’s just naming a few... So you can see why it all takes some time! Oh & it’s so awesome when you go to some places and you can’t change your drivers license until you have your updated social security card... so you waste your whole lunch break for nothing. So my recommendation is always have your (certified) marriage license with you & just do your research so you don’t wait in line at all of these places only to find out you have to come back 2 weeks later & do it all again.. and during your lunch break! Also, do the SS Card & License first. It will make everything else a lot easier down the road also. OR you can go to this site and it’s a one stop shop! All you do is fill out your information & it automatically fills out all the forms for you so that you don’t have to! Brilliant!

Or I guess there are those who choose not to change their last name also! Perhaps because it’s overly traditional, sexist or simply to keep from being the butt of someone's joke because his last name is wood & your first name is holly and you don’t want to be Holly Wood... (other funny ones might be: Paige Turner, Rose Bush, Gae Hooker, Cherri Pitts etc.) for whatever reason it is - I don’t know how I feel about that. I guess I am too traditional. If you don’t take your husbands last name... which one do your kids use? How do your taxes & benefits work? What letter do you put on your monogram or mailbox? The whole idea confuses me.

2 comments:

  1. I remember that process- pain in the butt! Glad you're done, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to have a heads-up about all of this! It seems so daunting... But that web site is very cool. Thanks for the advice, Mrs. Ackley! :)

    ReplyDelete