Monday, October 22, 2007

Here's to 1 month of being married

Today is a special day for us: Today marks 1 month that Freeland and I have been married! So I thought I would take a minute and look back at our first month as a married couple! First of all, it has gone by so fast - I can only imagine what it will feel like when we look back a year from now .. or even 25 years from now! Not only has it gone by fast, it has been incredible! People always told us when we were engaged "being married is amazing .. you will love it." I knew I would love it, but I never really fully understood what would be that different except that Freeland wouldnt have to leave at night. I already felt "married" to him in a way. But now I understand what everyone was trying to explain to us. It really is so much better! And I dont know how to explain it, but I love being married to Freeland & I love our relationship even more now that we are married.
So during this last month people have asked us a number of times how the "transition" has been .. and our answer is always the same .. "amazing!" Now, I know marriage wont always be easy .. and Freeland & I are by no means "perfect" .. but our first month has been amazing and we are both soo thankful! Dont get me wrong, I realize that some, if not most, of that is because of the point of life we are in right now ... the timing has obviously helped everything be as easy & great as it is.. We are busy but we really aren't stressed or running a 1000 different directions or anything. So finding the time to spend together & enjoy isn't hard for us right now. And that has really allowed us to enjoy every minute of being married so far. It also only makes me even more thankful that we got married when we did now that I look back on it. I feel like we are really going to be able to enjoy our first year of marriage together.

When I talked to my best friend Dawn today.. she was asking how things were going & I was telling her what our normal day looks like. After explaining to her all the details of our mornings, afternoons, and evenings she said "Stop.. I want you to just stop right now and say this out-loud: 'I am incredibly blessed because I have a husband who not only helps me ... but WANTS to help me with everything' okay now say that out loud!" It was cute.. and the truth. Here are just a few examples of what I am talking about:

1. Freeland has woken up every morning and done the dishes, cleaned our kitchen, and even made me my coffee or latte!

2. We have made dinner at home every night together.. and if we didn't make it together .. then Freeland made it for me. I haven't once had to stress out about dinner & what I'm going to do.

3. Right when we got back from the honeymoon, Freeland immediately organized all of our finances & everyone of our bills. And he has done everything without hesitation & I haven't had to worry about it once .. (which makes us both a lot happier!:)

4. Freeland has helped me clean & organize our house a ton .. (even before we were married.) He knows that I love organizing and cleaning things out so he has spent hours with me just "setting up" our house .. when he doesn't have to & probably doesn't even want to .. he sits with me and helps with out a second thought!

5. Freeland also knows when things mean a lot to me & goes out of his way to get excited about them and make them fun for us .. like setting up our house & picking out holiday decorations or spending hours in Target just to look at all the things I like .. and he not only does those things with me - he also does his best to make them as fun as possible & doesn't complain when I end up returning almost everything that I took hours buying! :)

So those are just a few of the reasons that I need to stop & say "I am incredibly blessed to be married to the man that I am!" So here's to 1 month of marriage! I'm so thankful that I am married to my best friend.

Here is a glimpse of what the last month has looked like for us as newlyweds: *I have more pictures.. they are just on our computer at home. I will upload them later.

Freeland moving in ... What our house looked like when we got back from the honeymoon: what it looked like when we started opening boxes:
Me crying at all the sweet gifts & cards we received:
Task 1: Clean the kitchen Eat your heart out Martha Stewart: our favorite - the bread machine!! My man grilling!
He makes one mean burger...
Our other favorite - the espresso machine! Thanks to my work!
This is our afternoon/nightly ritual .. we sit outside in the yard with the dogs & spend time as a "family".
We didnt take one of these on the beach like everyone else does on their honeymoon, so I made Freeland do it at home.

5 comments:

  1. Aw, I loved the update and the pictures! We are proud of you two for being such good husband/wife team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that we ran in to you tonight and that you have celebrated your 1 month anniversary.  I remember how excited I was at 1 week.  And now 8 years later, I still get that excited about anniversaries.  They are my all time favorite holiday of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww..it all sounds so wonderful. I remember that time in my life. It really was awesome. My DH and I have been married for almost 12 years now and yet it almost feels like yesterday we were just settling in as husband and wife. I hope you are blessed with as wonderful a marriage as I have been - it certainly sounds like you've been blessed with a wonderful husband. :-)

    P.S. I found your blog through Nablopomo. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooke,
    I drove by, well sped by, y'all's house yesterday, as I was running late, and you really were doing exactly what your blog says y'all do every night. Y'all looked quite cute. If I hadn't been late, I would have circled the block to stop and say hi. Thanks for keeping us updated on your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i came across your blog via NaBloPoMo ... anyways- omg you guys are like the cutest couple I have ever seen. You totally have what I want in life. Soooo cute! Congrats on the marriage!

    ReplyDelete